Akita periodically seeks Associate Scientists, Scientists, and Senior Scientists to join our growing technical staff. We encourage people who wish to be considered to contact us to discuss current opportunities and submit a resume. Our needs change rapidly so we prefer to hire talented and productive people who are highly adaptable rather than to hire for a narrow technical discipline.
Akita offers a dynamic work environment where employees are constantly challenged to learn about new materials and fabrication methods as research projects move from ‘napkin sketches’ through development and proof-of-principle demonstrations and toward small-scale manufacturing. People we seek will contribute to both new and ongoing projects, for example for novel coatings used to control the wettability of surfaces, production and characterization of microparticulate materials, development of novel polymeric 3D printing feedstocks, and process development for specialized optical materials.
Important qualifications for the position(s) include a strong work ethic, technical creativity, good written and oral communication skills, ability and inclination to rapidly learn new skills and techniques, and a documented history of professionalism and productivity in a laboratory/R&D environment. An ability to work well with partners and customers as well as Akita colleagues is highly valued. We consider both early career scientists and engineers and highly experienced professionals with a deep set of contacts and the ability to initiate and lead R&D projects involving new materials and teaming partners/subcontractors. Experience in scaling and commercializing new technologies and materials is useful for some roles.
Particular qualifications include:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, materials science, or a highly related field
- Work experience in chemistry/materials (may include graduate research) is necessary for many (not all) positions
- U.S. citizen or residency permit (‘Green Card’), preference for U.S. citizens
- Knowledge of and experience with coatings and coatings technology is a plus
- Organic chemical synthesis experience a plus for many openings
- Experience working on government-funded projects, including writing proposals for such projects and writing reports, is useful
Positions are for full-time work at our Billerica, MA facility. Akita offers competitive salaries, a full set of benefits including partially company-paid medical and dental coverage and a 401(k) plan with a company match, and flexible hours.
For information, please contact Larry Takiff (President), at email@example.com.